Our Research Grants
In order to define lipedema, we need to better understand what is going on in the affected fat tissue. The image below is a cast of the resident cells and components present in fat tissue. Click here to see the Grantees by Institution or By Name and Geography. Scroll down to see Grantees by Project Name.
Click on a part of the diagram to find out more about its function and the LF grantees actively researching that topic.
Our goal is to support research that comprehensively studies the microenvironment in which lipedema forms and persists. Better understanding the status of fat tissue residents and how they interact with one another will shed light on what causes and drives lipedema.
Lipedema Foundation Grants History
Lipedema Foundation was started in 2015 and its initial funding had 3 arms:
- a very broad multi-purpose program run by an MD PhD expert in lipedema, encompassing Treatment, Research and Education, tissue bank & imaging
- a genetics project run by a team of lymphedema genetics experts
- an open-call Fellowship program to improve awareness of lipedema amongst 'young' researchers
In 2016, we
- commissioned a "disease landscape report" to investigate the existing lipedema research, scout out potential scientific and clinical collaborators, and create a roadmap for future research projects
- instituted a mouse model project
- the hiring of our Chief Science Officer
- our first official grant cycle which resulted in 40 LOIs and 16 awards